This page gives you an overview of all the things you can do in and around our hotel / restaurant / meeting center Hostellerie Mont Kemmel ****. There is more than enough to do whether you are on foot, by bike or by car. The most heard remark of our guests is that they have booked a far too short stay. In order to really relax and to be able to have a bit of a "camel ride", we recommend a stay of at least 2 to 3 days. And then you will have to miss a lot!
This page gives, as it were a list of top guests Philippe & Kristine, host and hostess from Hostellerie Mont Kemmel ****.
See also our more general Tourism page, or even better, our special web site www.top.vlaanderen : just the more than 180 spherical panoramic images there in high resolution of as many attractions, landmarks, etc. is already worth going to see! There are also over 1,500 HR photos to see.
Tip: If you are a user of "Google Earth", you can get an overview of all Philippe & Kristine's top locations with a single mouse click.
Experiencing in our hostelry...
- Have a nice game in our bar, saloon, room... (we have several lying for you)
- Gastronomic dining in our restaurant or on one of our sun-drenched terraces
- Tasting a regional beer (Watou's white, Hommelbier, Sint-Bernardus 6-8-12°, ...) on one of our terraces or bar.
- Reading a book while tasting a local wine
- Drinking a delicious hot chocolate on the terrace with a fleece over you
- Enjoy a relaxing Jacuzzi, alone or with 2, in one of our VIP rooms
- Painting or photographing the landscape or hotel and its surroundings
- At sunrise or dusk: listening to birdsong & bird watching
- Watch the roe deer of our neighbors (nice for the kids!)
Experience within walking distance of our hostelry...
- If you want Hostellerie Mont Kemmel to explore the area and you are looking for maps, we can recommend you:
- OpenStreetMap (see also our message about this)
- Google Maps
- Have you ever organized a picnic on or around the Kemmelberg?
We will be happy to help you. See our special picnic page.
- climb the Belvédère Tower
- discover the Cold War Command bunker
- for children between 4 and 8 years old: walking and playing tour "De Bergkabouters".
- Eating a pancake in "The Hollemeersch" or "In the Golden Years"
- Tasting a local wine in winery De Monteberg
- Visit the visitor centre of Heuvelland
- West-Flinder Hiking Route on and along the Kemmelberg (4 km)
- the Kemmelberg Hiking Trail (8 km around Hostellerie Mont Kemmel ****)
- Discover other hiking trails (RouteYou)
- Discover other hiking trails (Wandelroutes.org)
- Routes (Tourist Office Heuvelland)
- Discover 7 inspiring walks in the villages of Heuvelland (Tourist Office Heuvelland - 30/4/2020)
Tip: For example, those who want to walk longer distances can GR 128the so-called "Flanders route", follow. This is a 468 km long footpath that crosses Flanders from west to east, from Kemmel in the West Flemish Hill Country to Teuven in the Limburgse Voerstreek. Look here for the complete route.
Experience within cycling distance of the Kemmelberg…
- Visit Provincial Domain "De Palingbeek"
- the Project and Public Observatory AstroLAB IRIS ( = an absolute must !)
- the visitor's centre
- the work of art "Coming World Remember Me" of Koen Vanmechelen (c) Luc Vercoutter
- Children's activities in Heuvelland
- Visit to an estaminet: Chewackers, The Green Leaf, The Strange Fox, 't Hellegat, ...
- Visit to the Rodeberg - Scherpeberg - Zwarteberg
- Explore the region in a golf cart
- Cableway Cordoba
- Amusement park Bellewaerde
- Water amusement park Bellewaerde Aqua
- Outside Adventure Park (Poperinge)
- Visit to the historic city Ypres (Vauban Fortresses, Cloth Hall, Belfry, Cathedral, "In Flanders Field" museum, ...)
- “YPRES IEPER by Drone"(Polychronis, 4K, May 24, 2019, 6m 14s)
- Historical images taken from a Zeppelin just after World War I (4m 35s)
- “Remembering Ypres"” (OPCWFebruary 2017, 10m 11s)
- “Last Post - Menin Gate - During the Coronation Age"(Last Post Association, 24 March 2020, 2m)
- “The history of the CWGC Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial"(CWGC, 1m 52s)
- Visit to Zonnebeke & Passendaele
- “WORLD WAR I Memorial: Tyne Cot Cemetery"(Polychronis, 4K, May 2019, 3m 10s)
- Visit to the city of beer Poperinge (hop museum, Talbot's House, …)
- View the 360° photo of a hop field in the region around Ypres - Poperinge (Vlamertinge) on 360cities.net .
Cycling - Cycling routes... Everything for the cyclist & mountain biker
- Visit the website "Cycling in Heuvelland“
- Database of Moutain Bike Routes (MTB)
- Vintage Hill Country Cycle Route (24 km)
- Flanders Cycling countryCycle routes in Heuvelland
- Bicycle network of Westtoer (junction system)
- Cycling from Ypres (Website of the Ypres Tourist Board)
- Cycle routes on the website of the Tourist Office Heuvelland: "Wine & Cycling“
- Cycling routes (RouteYou)
- Cycle route "Ghent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields"(started in 2018, loops of 28 and 100 km, including the famous "Plugstreets" see also the website of "Cycling in Flanders“)
- Cycling route "Heuvelland Hellingenroute" (started in September 2019, Route HHR40, 114 km, see also the website of "Cycling in Flanders")
- Routes (Tourist Office Heuvelland)
Experience less than an hour's drive from the Kemmelberg... Belgium
- Visit to Brewery Sint-Bernardus (Watou, Bar Bernard)
- Visit it sanctuary "The Sun's Glow" (West Flattering)
- Visit to a Flemish estaminet: overview
- Visit to the Ijzer Tower at Diksmuide
- See the 360° photo of the Iron Tower at Diksmuide in 360cities.net .
- Visit to the historic city Bruges
- See the 360° photo of the Rozenhoedkaai in Bruges on 360cities.net .
- See the 360° photo of the Burg in Bruges on 360cities.net .
- Visit to the historic city Ghent
- A breath of fresh air at our North Sea in The Breakdown
- Amusement park Plopsaland
- Indoor ski park Ice Mountain Adventure Park
- amongst others Indoor Sky-diving
- Car trips (RouteYou)
- Car trip "In Flanders Fields" - 95 km
Experience less than an hour's drive from the Kemmelberg... France
Visit to the historic city Lille
Visiting the art deco Villa Cavrois
Visiting the Museum La Piscine (Roubaix)
Visit to the historic town Cassel
- “Cassel: Village préféré des Français"” (France 3 Hauts-de-FranceJune 2018, 5m 59s)
- “Cassel, c'est " l'Everest des Flandres ""(Esprit Hauts-de-France, July 2018, 2m 18s)
- Don't forget the beautiful gardens at our friend's Emmanuel de Quillacq from "Les Jardins du Mont des Recollets"to visit Cassel. ( = absolute must for garden lovers! )
- “Jardins du mont des Recollets - Nord-Pas-de-Calais region - Le jardin préféré des Français"(3m 48s)
- “Jardin du Mont des Récollets Nord"(14 June 2014, 5m 14s)
- “A Garden of Flamande in Cassel"(June 2013, 6m 13s)
- Also interesting in Cassel: Musée de Flandre
Visit to the mining basin (UNSECO World Heritage site)
- See the 360° photo of the double terril of Loos-en-Gohelle in 360cities.net .
- Visit the Canadian National Vimy Memorial
- See the 360° photo of the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in 360cities.net .
Visit to the opal coast: Le Touqet Paris-Plage, Boulogne-sur-mer, Calais, …
- See the 360° photo from the poudrerie of Boulogne-sur-mer on 360cities.net .
Cap-blanc-nez and Cap-Gris-nez
- See the 360° photo of the Cap-Gris-nez in 360cities.net .
- See the 360° photo of the restaurant near Cap-Blanc-Nez in 360cities.net .
The largest marine aquarium in Europe: Nausicaa
- “Nausicaá, plunged into Europe's largest aquarium"(May 19, 2018, 53m 47s)
- “NAUSICAA Le plus grand aquarium d'Europe"(November 2019, 50m 6s)
Enough to experience on and around the Kemmelberg, isn't it?